Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Mac and Broccoli Cheese Bake

I am trying to incorporate a few meatless meals into our weekly supper dishes, so I decided to mix two favorite sides into one main meal.  Fairly quick and easy to make.

Recipe:

2 cups macaroni
salt, pepper, garlic powder, dry onion, red pepper powder - I add these to taste to the boiling water that I cook the macaroni in.  All are completely optional depending upon your taste.
4 tbs butter
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 can evaporated milk
1/2 cup 2% milk
1 or 2 eggs
16 oz package of frozen broccoli

Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit 

Cook 2 cups of dried macaroni in boiling water, seasoned to taste.  Before draining the macaroni, add the broccoli and mix.  This will warm the broccoli.  Drain the water.

Mix broccoli and hot macaroni with butter.

This is completely optional:  I add the cheese, evaporated milk, 2% milk, and 1 egg to a quart mason jar.  I then shake the ingredients to mix.  You can simply add all the above ingredients to the pot of macaroni and mix.  If you like your mac and cheese firm, add the second egg.  We like ours creamy so I only use one egg.

Macaroni, broccoli and cheese mixture poured into a 13 x 9 baking dish

Bake for 30 minutes at 400 degrees

At the end of 30 minutes, I turn the broiler on high for about 5 minutes to give a light brown crunch to the dish.
I forgot to take a picture before everyone dished up a bowl.  Needless to say, they liked it!