Saturday, May 4, 2013

Fun and Games

Board games are a great arsenal to have in a home school.  There are so many things to be learned while playing a game:  taking turns, counting, playing by the rules, strategy, etc.

I scour the local consignment and thrift stores looking for fun and educational board games we can play.  I just love finding a bargain and have found several.  However, once in a while I find a game while out and about that just begs for me to buy.  I rationalize why I should spend twenty-five dollars on a game and think about it and if it really draws me back, I will buy it.  That is exactly what happened when I bought the game "CAMP". 


We were in Nashville and visited the BassPro Shop.  I was browsing and spotted the game.  I flipped it over and read the description.  It sounded fun.  (I love trivia type games.)  I pondered if the the children would like it.  I asked myself about the educational value of the game.  I wondered if Hubby would be interested in playing it.  I put it back on the shelf and continued to look around.

Before we left the store, we had circled back to the area where the game was.  I picked it up again and reread the description.  The children came over and asked about it.  I explained it to them and they wanted to play it.  So, we bought it.

We played the game for the first time last night.  I had been meaning to play it before now, but other things kept popping up.



We had a wonderful time.  The game cards have different levels of difficulty.  We chose the first two levels for Little Man and Egee and the third and fourth levels for me.  We learned new facts about different types of animals every time one of us landed on the camping cabin.



Egee didn't want to stop playing!  So we continued to play five more rounds.  (The game does not take long to play.  This is a bonus when you don't want to spend all evening playing a game.  Plus, it allows chances for everyone to win a round.)

I am so happy that I made this purchase.