Thursday, February 14, 2013

MeeMaw's Swiss Steak

During my youth, we ate many meals at my grandparents' house.  Sunday dinners and Saturday suppers with great-grandparents, grandparents, aunts, and uncles were common.  The philosophy of MeeMaw (my mother's mother) was the more the merrier.

We always had plenty at the dinner table for all.  I wish my children could experience the dinners of my childhood.  Yes, we get together at my parent's house and have big meals with my sister's family.  I am sure, to my children, these meals will be just as important, as the meals I enjoyed while young.   There is just something mystical about childhood memories.

I try to bring some of the meals that I enjoyed so long ago back and share with my children.  While I prepare the meal, I share with my children memories of those fond times.  I hope that one day, they will share the stories with there children and yes, add to them favorites from their MeeMee and me!

MeeMaw's Swiss Steak

1 to 1 1/2 lbs of round steak or cubed steak (Round steak was very common for us to eat and had the little round bone.  However, today you cannot buy it with the bone or sometimes even find it at the grocery store.  So I have substituted cube steak.)

1 tbs cooking oil
1 can tomato sauce
1 large sliced onion
1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper to taste

Cut steak into individual sized portions.


Place oil into a large skillet to coat the bottom of the skillet.  Cook on med-high heat.

Place steak into the skillet, salt and pepper to taste and fry the steaks until done.


After the steak is done, add the tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce and onions.




Stir the ingredients and cover the steaks with the sauce.  Cook until onions are tender.





Once onions are tender, it is time to eat!



Serve with mash potatoes and veggie of our choice.  My kids loved this!  Egee is not a big steak fan, but said she liked the steak like this.  Hubby isn't that big on tomato type items, but said this wasn't to tomatoey(sp?).  In fact, he ate the leftovers for lunch!  This will be another recipe to add to the repertoire of supper meals.