Monday, March 11, 2013

The First Ball Game

Little Man had his first baseball game on Saturday.  It was a preseason tournament.  The boys were very excited to play.  They were dressed in red tee shirts and gray baseball pants.  (Our association has yet to get the uniforms.)  The boys didn't seem to care what they looked like, it was time to play ball.



Little Man was nervous.  He was trying to remember everything the coaches had taught him.  He wanted to do his best.  I have told him it doesn't matter if you win or lose, it is how you play the game.  If you do your best, that is all you can do. 



I was nervous, as well.  I was nervous for him and me.  I had to keep score and this was my first time.  Luckily, it was the other team's score keepers first time, too.  That calmed my nerves some.  Plus, the ump told me all I had to do was keep up with the score and not worry about the score book.  I, however, kept up with the score book for practice.



Our boys took the field first.  The other team didn't score in the first inning, neither did we.  The boys were starting to get rid of the jitters.  They were looking good.

By the bottom of the fifth inning, the score was 3-0.  The boys were so disappointed they hadn't scored.  A couple of the boys had cried because they struck out.  However, they rallied together and the bats were hot!  We scored one and then two.  We had two outs and the tying run was on third with another at second.  Could they do it?  Unfortunately, no.  They gave it their all.  They were sure they could do it in the bottom of the 6th.




The 6th inning didn't happen.  To everyone's disappointment the ball game was called on time.  We lost 3-2.  The boys had felt the thrill of the game.  They almost won.  They came from behind and worked together to close the gap.  Maybe the next game will result in victory.  No matter what, it is the way you play that will determine the true victor.