Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Toasting Pumpkin Seeds

The children carved pumpkins this morning and that left us with a lot of pumpkins seeds.  Instead of tossing them into the trash, I decided to toast them.


I put the pulp laden seeds in a colander and rinsed them under warm water.  The pulp easily separated from the seeds and I was able to remove the bulk of the seeds with very little pulp.  After I finished separating the seeds, I filled a large bowl with water and the seeds floated to the top.  The remaining pulp slowly sunk to the bottom.  I scooped out the seeds using a slotted spoon and placed them in a bowl.

I added two tablespoons of oil to the seeds and seasoned with salt, garlic and seasoning salt.  Stirring all the ingredients together to make sure all was coated.  The oven had been preheated to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. 


I placed the seeds on two cookie sheets.  Trying my best to get them to lay in a single layer.  Then into the oven they went for 50 minutes.


Yummy!