Thursday, May 31, 2012

Canning Peaches

Today, I decided to try my hand at canning peaches.  I had bought a bag from Cooley Farms last week and didn't want them to go to waste.  So, I pulled out the Ball Canning book and surfed the web to figure out how to go about the process. 

A few peaches cooling in cold water waiting to be peeled.

Peeled peaches waiting to be sliced.
Peaches sliced and in the syrup bath.

Canning jars washed and ready.
Water bath ready.
Hot peaches and syrup ladled into the jar. 
Finished product.
The process was quite simple.  I put the peaches into a hot water bath for a few minutes and then placed them into a cold water bath.  This made it easy to peel the skin off the peach.  Slicing and pitting the peach took a little more time.  Especially when three hungry children walked into the kitchen wanting lunch!  I made a light syrup mix using 5 1/4 cups of water and 2 1/4 cups of sugar.  Once the sugar was dissolved, I added the sliced peaches and brought them to a boil.  I then ladled the peaches into wide-mouthed pint jars, removed air bubbles, wiped the rim, and placed the hot lid on top.  I secured the band and placed the jar into the boiling water canner.  Once all jars were placed in the canner and the water was boiling rapidly, I timed the jars for twenty minutes.  Within minutes out of the water, the lids on the jars pinged as they sealed.

I had a few peaches that didn't fit into the jars, so we taste tested the mix.  I received two thumbs up from all three children.  The boys wanted more and more.  I tried the peaches and they were pretty good and I don't particularly like peaches.  I may just change my mind about peaches!