Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mother's Day


Mother's Day is everyday around my house.  It is not a mere one day moment.  No, I am not lavished daily by gifts or being waited upon hand and foot.  When a woman becomes a mother, she is blessed by all the small things that her children do on a daily basis.  My children are not perfect by any means.  I wouldn't want them to be.  I love seeing them grow not only physically, but intellectually.  The little moments in the day when Little Man wants to curl up in my lap to have his back scratched.  One day he will no longer be able to do this.  When Egee goes on and on in her quest to explain an event that she finds very important.  Or, the endless hugs and kisses before bedtime.  She has always been my snuggler.

I know I am loved daily from a wonderful man.  He puts in so much time at his business to support us.  He makes sure we have what we need and always tries to give us more.  He never complains about being tired, although I know he is.  He is kind and patient and understanding.

I know many a mother that expects the flowers or jewlery for Mother's Day.  She will become miffed at her husband if he has failed to oblige her desire.   She chooses not to recall all the other things he has done for her the last three hundred and sixty-four days, since the last Mother's Day.  Why?


Mother's Day did not start out as a retail event.  Mother's have been celebrated for thousands of years.  In 1914, President Woodrow Wilson made it a nationally celebrated holiday.  Slowly the holiday has grown into a retail holiday.  An event that started out so simple, has evolved into a floral and retail bonanza.

I choose to keep it a simple event in our family.  A nice and quiet day, celebrated with my family, and maybe an afternoon nap!


Happy Mother's Day!