Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Quiet Mornings

We are not early risers now days.  After leaving the hustle and bustle of work and school, our lives changed slowly.  Normally, I would be up at five a.m. and wake the kids at six a.m.  Morning grumpiness abounded five days a week.  The children practically slept walked into the daycare facility at seven a.m. after a thirty minute drive.  By Friday morning, I was ready to crash!

We went to bed early - nine p.m. was lights out.  Because we didn't get to spend time together all day, I allowed the children to fall asleep with me in bed.  Hubby would put them in their own beds when he came in later.  His schedule was a night owl, while ours was early bird.  We didn't spend much time being together during the week. 

Now that we are entering year three of homeschooling, our schedules have definitely shifted.  Hubby rises around seven a.m. and I follow at seven thirty.  The kids wake between seven thirty and eight thirty. Sometimes later, if we had a later than normal evening.  When they do rise, they are not grumpy.  They are refreshed and pleasant.

This morning, for some reason, I woke early at five thirty!  The darkness and quiet of the house is peaceful.  Well, quiet is relative - the dog is snoring at my feet!

Knowing that I can plan my day and not rush off and leave my children with others gives me peace.  Soon the darkness of morning will fade and the pitter patter of feet will hit the floor.  The quiet morning will turn into noise of electronics and silliness.  School work will begin and a late evening of baseball and Aikido will be upon us.

For right now, I will absorb the sounds of the crickets and tree frogs drifting in the open window.  And await, the first glimmer of the morning sun.