Thursday, October 17, 2013

Harvest Time for Green Beans

The spring and summer were wet.  This year's garden grew brilliant leaves on the veggie plants, but the veggies just didn't produce.  The rain knocked the flowers off.  My green beans just would not make.  I had given up.

Yesterday, while doing fall yard maintenance, I noticed a few green beans.  I had planted about ten pole bean plants and they were covering the garden fence.  Upon closer inspection, I found bunches of beans.  I went in and retrieved a bag and set out picking.

I ended up with a plastic grocery bag full of beans!


Today, the children and I snapped the beans.  They love doing this and it makes the work go faster.  When we finished, we had two gallons of beans!


I placed them in freezer bags and put them in the freezer.  I will can them later next week when I have time.

Hopefully, I will get one more harvest before frost.