Thursday, June 12, 2014

Vegetable Garden

This year I had a friend come over and till up my garden spot with his tractor.  My how a tractor makes the task much more manageable.  I would have slaved for a couple days with the hand tiller.  I happened to be late putting in my garden this season.  But, have quickly realized that late is better than never!

We had the backyard fenced this spring and the side yard was just sitting bare.  I had tried to garden in the side yard a few years prior, but the weed quickly won the battle of wills.  I then resorted to raised gardening around our pool.  Then turned the no longer used dog pen into a fenced gardening area.  However, my heart still longed for a bigger more traditional gardening space.

I marked an area of 30 x 75 feet and let my friend work magic.  The ground is rocky, but the soil is not clay like the rest of our yard.  We actually have nice dirt!  Now being from upstate South Carolina that is rare.  I figure the area would make for a great garden.

 The garden spot

After my friend tilled the area, I let it sit for little over a week.  We had to go out of town.  By the time we returned the bits of grass and wild onion bulbs were withered.  It was time to plant!

I planted lettuce, carrots, spinach, bush green beans, black beans, pinto beans, yellow squash, zucchini, radishes, nasturtiums, tomatoes, peppers, okra, corn, pumpkins, watermelon, cantaloupe, and sunflowers. 

 Everything is coming up!

 This is four weeks after planting.  Only 3/4 of the garden space is used.

Tomatoes

 Corn

Okra

More tomatoes

Beans, squash, zucchini, and lettuce

After planting and planting, I realized I still had more garden space to plant!  So, I am now trying to decide what exactly I am going to do with extra space.  I realized I had yet planted cucumbers.  So, those will be added shortly.  I will probably start a row or two of turnips and try growing parsnips.  Maybe compost a section to have a larger asparagus bed next year.  The possibilities are endless!