Monday, December 2, 2013

Advent Countdown

Tis the season!  I wanted to do something a bit different this year in our countdown to Christmas.  I have a snowman that helps countdown the days.  If the children have been good that day, a special candy treat is left in the pocket.  If they have been naughty, no candy!  That really makes an impression on Little Man.


However, I wanted to integrate the true meaning of Christmas more into our daily schedule.

We read the nativity story and different books about Christmas, but I really wanted to take it a step farther this year.  I found a wonderful resource on the internet!  Advent Paper Chains: An Easy Christmas Craft 


Last night, Egee helped me cut out the links and make the countdown chain.  She loves to make things like this.  We used staples to hold the paper links and make it easier to detach from the chain.  Then, we hung the chain on the wall.


Little Man is in charge of removing the red links and Egee the green links.  Each day we read the bible passage and discuss it.  Both children are enjoying learning more about Christmas. 


It is a wonderful way to share such an amazing story of God's love for us.  It goes beyond just the Nativity story and brings the coming of Jesus full circle.  I hope you enjoy it as much as we are!