Tuesday, April 10, 2018

A Few Mods to the Avalanche 365MB

Camping season has officially begun!  Now that I can access the Avalanche more, I am tweaking little things to make life a bit easier.  This is just another process of creating the home away from home we love for seven months out of the year.

The Zinger had large night stands on each side of the bed.  Our Avalanche has these little shelf night stands attached to the slide out frame.  Both hubs and I wear glasses.  Placing our specs on the minute night stand and keeping them there all night was a problem.  Roll over and move the covers, the glasses would fall.  Trying to find the glasses on the floor in the dark without stepping on them was an accident waiting to happen.  I had purchased these adhesive hooks from Amazon for another purpose, but started thinking how I could use them for our glasses problem.  I mounted the hooks to the top night stand area and they were perfect to secure our glasses at night!



Another issue I ran into was seeing the control panel in the dark.  In order to turn on the hall light, you must find the switch in the control panel.  So, I placed a LED puck light on the control panel door.  Easy fix!


The bathroom doors do not have locks.  It wouldn't be a big deal if kids would remember to knock, but you know kids!  I wanted to put a lock on the door leading to the hallway from the bathroom.  The sliding door to the bedroom isn't a problem.  The kids don't use that door.  I purchased a sash lock from the hardware store and installed it.  It works wonderfully!



We have a great spot in our Avalanche to hang keys and hats when you walk inside.  However, there really wasn't a good way to hang sun glasses.  I looked into several solutions, but wasn't satisfied with what I was finding.  I wanted something simple that could be mounted on the drop-off center.  That is when it occurred to me to use the hooks I had used in the bedroom for our glasses.  I placed the hooks on the frame of our entry drop off center.  It was perfect!  Right now I only put two hooks up, but if needed I will add more.


Finally, I love the added counter space in the Avalanche and did not want to clutter it with produce.  I purchased a wire hanging filing basket and mounted it under the island counter.  It works great and keeps onions and other produce contained and out of the way.


There are still things to do to our vacation home on wheels.  I love being able to make it more organized and fit our needs.

Click here for more mods I have done to the Avalanche.