Monday, March 12, 2018

Making the Avalanche 365MB Feel More Like Home!

I spent a couple of days slowly organizing and beginning the decorating process on the Avalanche.  It is going to take time to create the home away from home feel in our new space.  I get overwhelmed at times and want to just get it all done, but I know taking little steps in the decorating process will be better in the long run.  So, right now it is more about organizing.


We camp with our senior dog, Sally B.  She loves to camp as much as I do! Dog bowls are easy to stub a toe on and knock over in a camper.  There is really not a good space to place them out of the way.  I wanted to dedicate the far side of the kitchen island for the dog bowls.  I figured we would have less foot traffic in that area.  When browsing the internet, I stumbled upon a dog food storage and feeding station.  I decided to buy it and hoped that it would solve our issue. The IRIS Medium Elevated Feeder and Storage station fit perfect!  The height is just right for Sally B to eat and drink comfortably.  We didn't knock into it at all, so hopefully this has solved our issue.


The Avalanche is very dark inside at night.  Our first time out in it, we could not see to go up the stairs to the bath and bedroom.  The hall light is a very bright LED.  We left it on, but knew this was not going to work all the time.  I searched Amazon for battery operated motion night lights.  We do not have any outlets in the hallway.  There were plenty of LED bright light night lights.  I wanted something more subtle.  I finally found Mr. Beams Sleep Friendly lights.  They are amber colored and work amazingly well.  I placed one in front of Egee's bunk room door and the other near the second step in the hallway.  The light given off is enough to navigate up the steps without an issue.  Problem solved!



Another issue with our steps to the bathroom and bedroom was the slickness of the floor and treads.  I knew it was only a matter of time before someone fell going down.   I needed a landing rug, but worried about it moving under our feet.  I knew they made stair rugs for campers and I really didn't want to carpet the entire set of stairs.  I chose to go with the landing rugs.  They attach to the landing and steps with industrial strength Velcro for a secure hold.  I bought three different sized rugs, 14in for bottom landing, 8in for steps, and 10in for top landing.  They are working out great!  The peppercorn coloring works great for our decor.



The medicine cabinet in the bathroom is always a recipe for disaster!  I had the one in the Zinger nice and organized and needed to do the same for the Avalanche.  I used many of the same things I came up with in the Zinger.  I added Velcro strips to the wall and hung up our pill box, toothbrush holders, contact box, Q-tip box and manicure case.  I added the bathroom Command hooks to hold the ponytail hair wraps.  A metal shelf on the upper shelf helped wrangle in small items and allowed taller items and brushes to store underneath.  I found a razor holder and took off the suction cup then used an adhesive hanger to mount it in the cabinet.  Now everything is easily accessible.


The vanity storage needed some work, as well.  I bought an over the door toilet paper holder.  This works great, because we have no wall space to place the toilet paper.  The tissue box fits nicely in front of the p-trap.  The extra toilet paper is easily accessible on the top shelf and I can keep on eye on how many rolls we have.  I placed most of the feminine products in a plastic shoe box.  Another plastic shoe box, houses extra toothpaste, deodorant, razor blades, etc.  The black tank deodorizer is kept in a plastic container and our cleaning supplies are corralled in a small bin. Everything has a place and is easily to grab when needed. Finally, I placed a Command towel bar on the side of the linen closet for our hand towel.  It fit just perfect for the hand towel and it keeps the towel off the side of the sink.


The shower head that came standard in the Avalanche was lacking in a quality spray.  We bought the Oxygenics Fury and love it.  I put our shower dispenser organizer back up.  I love this thing! Seeing how much shampoo and conditioner we have left is great because I don't keep extra on hand.  The kids don't over use product and we don't have containers taking over the shower!  I also added two bathroom Command strip hooks to the shower wall to hold wet washcloths or swim suits when the time comes.  I may add a couple more if needed.

I still have more to do in the organizing of our new Avalanche.  I will keep you updated as I continue to make this our home away from home. 

Click here for Mods I did on the Zinger Bunkhouse!