Monday, April 16, 2018

Mapping Our Explorations

We went seasonal last year for camping and the plan is to stay seasonal.  We love our campground and there are plenty of places to hike and explore.  I love seeing the maps of the United States and how people add a state to their map when they camp in a new state.  Being seasonal, we won't be camping in other states.  So, I contemplated what I could do for our explorations in our area.

I decided to make a cork board map of the Blue Ridge Parkway that we would be exploring.  I went to Michaels and found a cute frame.  I bought a foam board that had a cork side attached.  Next, I went home and printed out three sections of my map.

Sizing the map to fit the window areas of the frame was the hard part. I didn't want the map to be too small.  I didn't want it to be to large and not have the places we were planning on visiting left out.  It took trial and error to get it just right. 


Once the sizing was perfect, I taped everything together for the final fitting.  Then I marked the foam cork board to cut to size.



Next, I glued the paper to the cork board.  Then I glued the frame to the cork board. I added four finishing nails to the backside to make sure the frame and foam cork board don't separate.


Finally, I bought map pins and began marking the places we had visited this past year.  The yellow pin marks our campground.  The blue pins mark the waterfalls we have visited.  The green pins mark places we have explored.  The white pins show historical sites we have visited.


Our adventure board is one of the first things you see when you walk in the Avalanche.  I love it!