Monday, March 2, 2020

Gullah Stories

Although I am not originally from South Carolina or the Sea Islands, my husband and children were born in this lovely state.  I have embraced it as my own over the last twenty some odd years and love the rich history of the area.  We love visiting the Low Country and Sea Islands of South Carolina and Georgia.  So, we are familiar with the Gullah Geechee and the history of these remarkable people.  My nephew grew up watching Gullah Gullah Island and my kids had seen a few episodes, but didn't really remember it.  I wanted to let them experience the culture once again and a perfect way was to see Gullah Stories at the Peace Center in Greenville.

Ron and Natalie Daise are amazing storytellers and were the hosts of Gullah Gullah Island.  They each have amazing backgrounds and you can see the love they share telling the stories, music, and language of their ancestors.  It was a remarkable program and we came out of the theater with smiles on our faces.  No matter your age, if you have a chance to see these two in action, it is a must!