Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Homemade Laundry Detergent

I have read several blog posts on people making homemade laundry detergent and have thought about making some to try.  Having sensitive skin issues of eczema, I have to be careful what kind of detergent I use.  Normally, I buy the Costco brand that is perfume and dye free and haven't had any issues.

After reading comments on how simple laundry detergent is to make and how fresh and clean it gets the laundry, I decided to go for it.  I picked up the four main ingredients:  Borax, Washing Soda, Baking Soda, and Fels Naptha bar soap.  I couldn't wait to get back home and make the detergent!


I had saved a large Folger's plastic coffee container a few weeks ago and dug it out.  Adding three cups each of borax, washing soda and baking soda to the container.

I then chopped the two Fels Naptha bar soaps and place the pieces in the blender.  I blended them to a nice fine powder.  I added the powder to the others in the coffee container.


I then added one cup of oxyclean to the concoction. I already had oxyclean at home and just decided to add it.  According to several sites with the recipe for homemade laundry detergent, this does not have to be added.  However, having a young son in the house that is good about getting dirt and grime on clothing, I decided to add it.

This is what it looks like when mixed.  The yellow pieces are the Fels-Naptha soap.

Once all the ingredients were in the container, I placed the lid on the it and began to shake it.  I rotated the container to make sure everything was evenly mixed.  Then I put a piece of labeling tape on the lid to identify the product.



The process was fast and simple.  The cost of homemade laundry detergent is minimal.

20 Mule Team Borax - $3.38 for 76 oz  = $1.06 for 3 cups
Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda - $3.24 for 55 oz = $1.41 for 3 cups
Arm and Hammer Baking Soda - $2.12 for 60 oz = $0.85 for 3 cups
Felsnaptha bar soap - $0.97 x 2 =  $1.94
(I already had oxyclean)
Grand total:  $10.68 for ingredients or $5.26 for 100 oz or $0.05 per load of laundry (1/8 cup per load)

Five cents a load for laundry detergent is a steal!  Even when I buy the he efficient detergent Costco  brand with a coupon, it comes out to twelve cents a load.  So I shall see how well the homemade detergent does, and if it passes the test.